While I'd love to say that "we" are taking a break from renos, it turns out that Montreal weather has forced Adam's hand into rebuilding part of our backyard fence this summer. Several sections of our 30-year old fence succumbed to strong winds and had to be laid down to rest, bless their souls. After getting a few quotes from fence companies, we did the math and decided that DIY is the way to go, once again. Also, as much as I wanted to have one made in Cedar, the price was just about double that of pressure-treated wood. So I bit my tongue, died a little inside at the thought of the greenish color that I'd have to live with the first year or so, and agreed to go the pressure-treated route. At least I get to have my fence design, yeehaw.
Instead of building the standard vertical fence, we're going modern, folks. Horizontal is the way to go, yo. Like so:
A little tidbit for you. Pressure Treated Wood is commonly used for fences, decks and other outdoor structures to increase their durability and resistance to insects and fungus. In a nutshell, chemical preservatives are applied to the wood (hence the greenish color). We plan to stain the wood eventually, but we have to wait for the wood to fully dry out (it can take up to a few months, apparently). So, next year, the fence will be pimpin. This year, it'll look a lil ill.
As you can see in the next couple of pics, our neighbor's land is separated by a retaining wall. This adds a little complexity to the project, but thankfully our neighbor has been patient and we've promised to fix up the retaining wall once we're done.
Adam spent a full day purchasing supplies from 2 hardware stores, and rented this bad boy. A hydraulic hole digger. This thing weighs like 400 pounds, like seriously. Thankfully, Adam is strong like bull. So strong and invincible that he can work in crocs (we've dubbed them construction crocs).
Next, digging holes that are 48" deep with the machine. The thing is, the machine is great when there are no rocks. But there were rocks. Sorry, maybe I should call them boulders, cuz that's sure as hell what they looked like. It took up to 3 hrs to dig up each hole (13 holes in total), so you can do the math. This is by far the hardest, most physically demanding, and time-consuming step in the process.
After digging each hole, Adam placed a 4X4 post in the hole and set it in place with a couple of bags of specialized concrete. That Adam, he's so hot right now. Such a manly man, workin the land and stuff.
We've got 1 post left to dig and set, and then Adam can start the framing for the fence. Stay tuned for our (ahem...his) weekly progress!