Towards the end of last year, I worked on a lifesize mockup of the panel moulding I wanted to add to the dining room walls.
Fast forward 6 months later. Sienna becomes very mobile and starts having a field day pulling away the green tape on the walls, inch by inch. I decide, hey mel, here's a good idea, why don't you maybe finish what you started? Ok, I say. Let's find some pretty mouldings.
I ordered the mouldings through some great connections and they were delivered to my doorstep 2 weeks later. The measurements and math came next.
We categorized the mouldings into different groups by size and determined how many of each size we needed. Because some groupings required up to 18 pieces, Adam recommended we create a jig for each size. A jig is basically a custom-made template used to ensure consistent and speedy results.
TIP: to make each cut, we used a miter saw (my favorite power tool aside from a brad nailer). Panel mouldings and window casings are cut at a 45 degree angle.
Every time we completed the cuts for a grouping, we taped, labeled and set them aside.
It took us a few hours to make all of the cuts. Of course, I had to lay them out nicely on the dining room table by size, cuz I'm OCD like that.
Stay tuned for part 2, where we glue and nail the mouldings to the walls.