Living Room Curtains

This had to have been the longest DIY project in the history of velvet toolbox.  It was pretty much the bane of my existence, and I couldn't be happier to say it's done even though it didn't turn out the way I had hoped.

Here's a look at our living room window, before:

And now, with the curtains:

I made both the curtains and rod from scratch (the rod was made to match the dining room one).

Why was this project so painful, you ask?  

  • The fabric was so thick that I had to try 3 solutions to sew the hidden tabs before I was successful - this took the longest time, by far. grrrrr.
  • After all the measuring and re-measuring - I still messed up the length of the curtains, and they ended up too short.  I wanted the curtain rod to be placed much higher up to give a feeling of higher ceilings but that clearly didn't work
  • Because we had to lower the rod so that the curtains would skim the floor, we didn't realize that the middle support fixture was obstructed by the window moulding.  This one wasn't such a biggie, as I simply affixed the support to the ceiling - and I kind like it!
  • I don't really like the way the curtains look when they're closed.  They look like I slapped on sheets to a window in a teenage dorm room.  So I guess they'll always stay open.  

Ah well. Many lessons learned for next time.